The CAMEROON ASSOCIATION OF ACTIVE YOUTHS (CAMAAY) is a community empowerment organisation. It is managed by a democratically elected officials and youths, with the support of elders and other stakeholders. Its organisational structure is made up of; a general assembly, executive board members, board of advisers and members.
CAMAAY started as a self help group when members gathered a few resources and organised free remedial catch up classes for some underprivileged and vulnerable children and youths in Bafoussam, western region of Cameroon.
With the advent of globalisation and the need for youth participation in community matters and from calls from some parents and community members, the organisation decided to expand its activities and was registered as a not-for- profit under Cameroon law in august 2005.
The mission of the Association is to foster children, youths and women’s civic, social and intellectual development and promote community engagement and development. Identify the positive aspects of their communities as well as identify the problems that their communities face and collectively create innovative approaches and solutions to bring about changes. We also see that children and young people regardless of gender, sex, background, religion, colour, mental or physical disability, need to be accepted and live without fear of discrimination in responsibilities and decisions with adults.
We hope for a society where all vulnerable, marginalized and deprived children and youths live to their full potentials and their rights and aspirations are fulfilled.
Our Core Values
- Expression of the humanitarian obligations to exercise charity and to promote social justice.
- Development as an empowerment process focusing on people’s participation and the creation of autonomous groups and individuals.
- Commitment to non-authoritarian structures and to democratic decision making processes within the organization.
- Work to eliminate rural poverty by providing direct assistance of any nature to community stakeholders.
- Youth and children participation as a prerequisite for sustainable development.
The goal of the association is to build a spirit of participation in self and community development within the rural populations in North West region in particular and Cameroon in general.
We hope you’ll journey with us in helping improve the lives of women and youth in Cameroon.